ECOPLACKAGING-Vegetal fibres-reinforced PLA antimicrobial composites for packaging applications
Ecoplackaging aims to develop a fully biodegradable bioplastic composite consisting of a PLA matrix reinforced with: 1) vegetal fibres obtained from plant waste, namely island invasive plant species and 2) low-cost and environmentally-friendly antimicrobial glasses.
The main project objectives are:
- To achieve sustainable bioplastic materials with suitable mechanical and antimicrobial properties thanks to the combination of PLA with natural fibres and inexpensive antimicrobial glasses.
- To demonstrate the antimicrobial effectiveness of the composite • To surpass the mechanical properties of pure PLA polymeric materials.
- To maintain the environmental advantage of PLA polymers, particularly the compostability of the composite. Unlike other past research initiatives on active packaging polymers,
- The use of new raw materials, abundant and renewable, corresponding to plant material from invasive plant species obtained from land cleaning and control actions
- Formulation and use of recycled glasses as antimicrobial fillers. These patented glasses are biodegradable, biocompatible and nontoxic. Their composition is free of environmentally harmful metals such as silver, copper or zinc and their broad sprectrum of antimicrobial activity arises from the capability to release calcium ions at the glass particle-microorganism interface, which leads to membrane depolarization and the subsequent death of the microorganism. This innovation combines best-in-class antimicrobial function without compromising glass properties.
- Development of enriched compost thanks to the additional supply of micronutrients from the biodegradation of the antimicrobial glasses under composting conditions.
Call: M.ERANET joint call 2018
Project Code: 6159
Duration: 01/05/2019 – 30/04/2022
Funding: Fondos propios
Consortium: CINN (Coordinador) España, Universidad de Azores (Portugal), SYNPO, akciová společnost (República Checa), SPA 2000, s.r.o. (República Checa)